There’s nothing quite like a classic chewy oatmeal cookie.
Chewy, not too sweet and with a touch of cinnamon, this simple recipe is perfect for plain chewy oatmeal cookies or as a base with some of your favorite add-ins like chocolate chips, raisins or nuts.
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES | COOK TIME: 10 MINUTES | SERVINGS: 18 COOKIES
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ cup salted butter, softened
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup brown sugar packed
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 ½ cup oatmeal, quick oats or old fashioned
1 cup mix-ins – chocolate chips, raisins, nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line two large baking sheets or pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Place softened butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar in a bowl and combine. Set aside.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat until the mixture is light.
- Add dry ingredients and beat until just combined.
- Add oatmeal and beat until combined.
- Add mix-ins (optional) and stir until evenly distributed in the dough.
- Refrigerate dough for at least one hour covered.
- Roll the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on the prepared cookie sheet. Repeat until all the dough is used.
- Gently and very slightly press down tops of cookies about halfway with fork.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until the top is just set and edges are golden.
- Let sit on the baking pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.